Pineapple tarts have to be one of the most tedious traditional cookie recipes I’ve tried out. Personally I’m not a fan of pineapple tarts, but this recipe from Fresh From The Oven is absolutely melt-in-the-mouth (enclosed version).
To save time and energy, I used store bought pineapple paste from Phoon Huat. Previously read that PH sells different kinds of pineapple paste. I used the premium, which is less sweet, more fibrous.
I reduced the recipe by half as I just wanted to try out and don’t want to spend too much time, knowing the process is tedious. It still took about 3h of my time, including washing up. Sigh I need to speed up.
Yields about 50-60pcs
110g butter, room temperature
1/8 tsp salt
1 egg yolk
25g icing sugar
1 tbsp cornstarch
Pineapple paste, rolled into small balls. (PH sells 1kg package. U need less than a quarter probably…)
1. Sieve flour, icing sugar, salt, cornstarch. Set aside
2. Beat butter till light and fluffy
3. Add yolk till well combined.
4. Slowly beat in flour mixture till JUST combined
5a. Open faced tarts:
-Roll between two greaseproof paper/cling film and use the pineapple tart cutter to cut out shapes.
-Apply egg wash, then add pineapple paste balls on top.
5b. Closed tarts
– Roll pastry into balls, flatten, place a pineapple paste ball on top and enclose it with the dough.
– Roll the tart into a nice ball or elongated shapes to mimic pineapple (personal preference)
6. Bake 180C for 10-15min.
– The dough mixture tend to be on the dry side, and i was really tempted to add in some milk or liquid. Instead, I must tried squeezing it together and it seemed to be cohesive enough. Lucky I didn’t add in liquid otherwise it might be too soft to handle.
– The dough is pretty easy to handle, no chilling required.
– Was getting frustrated with the open faced tarts as I was not good with cookie cutting. Therefore, tried some closed tarts.
– Flouring is not needed for open faced tarts. It will affect the shape.
– Original recipe was meant for closed tarts. It was many times nicer than open faced and “melt in the mouth”. I liked it, considering that I’m not pineapple tart lover, imagine how nice it has to be..
– Pineapple paste tend to dry up on open faced tart.
– For first round, applied egg wash on assembled open faced tart and realized it was more difficult. Therefore, suggest to apply before adding pineapple balls.
– Baking time about 13min.
– Egg wash can be omitted. It does not make the cookie more fragrant or look nicer.